The much-awaited era of gaming, the next-gen era has just been kickstarted with the official announcement of PS4 by Sony during its Playstation Meeting 2013. The console has been in development since 2008.
The system specs for PS4:
- Single chip custom processor: Low power X86-64 AMD “Jaguar” CPU – 8 Cores
- Supercharged PC Architecture
- Enhanced GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next Engine
- 8GB GDDR5 Unified Memory
- Local HDD
- Optical Drive (Read Only): BD 6xCAV / DVD 8xCAV
- I/O: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX
- Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) / IEEE 802.11 b/g/n / Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
- AV Output: HDMI / Analog-AV out / Digital Output (optical)
The PS4 will take advantage of the GPU for processing which has been limited to the CPU in the previous consoles. PS4 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 games however old games can be played through cloud.
DUALSHOCK 4 CONTROLLER
- External Dimensions: Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Weight: Approx. 210g (tentative)
- Keys / Switches: PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2/R3/L3, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad Button
- Touch Pad: 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
- Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Other Features: Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
- Ports: USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
- Wireless Communication: Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
- Battery: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery / Voltage – DC3.7V (tentative) / Capacity – 1000mAh (tentative)
The PS4 controller has a touchpad and motion control. The PS4 controller also boasts of a “Share” button as well as a “Light bar”. The design is similar to the prototype posted by IGN. PS4 will heavily use Youtube, Gaikai and social networking.
- External Dimension: Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)
- Weight: Approx. 183g (tentative)
- Video Pixel: (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
- Video Frame Rate: 1280 x 800 @ 60 fps / 640 x 400 pixel @ 120 fps / 320 x 192 pixel @ 240 fps
- Video Format: RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
- Lens: Dual lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
- Capture Range: 30cm??
- Field-of-view: 85°
- Microphone: 4 Channel Microphone Array
- Connection Type: PS4 dedicated connector (AUX Connector)
- Cable Length: Approx. 2m (tentative)
As of now, Sony’s Meeting 2013 is still going on. The games showcased yet are
inFamous: Second Son
Stay tuned to ProGamist for more details.